Welcome to our new monthly column featuring CONN-OSHA experts answering some of the most commonly asked questions from CBIA member companies.

Most of the responses from Catherine Zinsser, a CONN-OSHA occupational safety training specialist, will be on recordkeeping since that's the focus of most questions she fields.

But if you'd like to ask her a question on another topic, please email CBIA's Phillip Montgomery.

He will treat all questions confidentially and never share any identifying company information with CONN-OSHA or anyone else.

Q: If we use a temporary agency and the worker gets injured, since the worker is on the agency’s payroll, does the agency record the injury?

A:  Section 1904.31 of the OSHA standards requires employers to record injuries and illnesses of all their employees, whether classified as labor, executive, hourly, salaried, part-time, seasonal, or migrant workers.

The section also requires employers to record injuries and illnesses of employees they supervise on a day-to-day basis, even if they aren't carried on the employer's payroll.

Q: If an employee travels to a company facility out of state and gets hurt, where is the injury recorded?

A: Under paragraph 1904.30(b)(4), if an employee is injured or gets sick while visiting or working at another of the employer's establishments, the injury or illness must be recorded on the 300 Log of the facility where the injury or illness occurred.

Q: At a company event, such as a holiday party or company softball game, a manager encourages' an employee to partake in activities and the employee is hurt, is this recordable?

A: According to paragraph 1904.5(b)(2) (iii), injuries and illnesses will not be considered work-related if they result solely from voluntary participation in a wellness program or in a medical, fitness, or recreational activity such as blood donation, physical, flu shot, exercise classes, racketball, or baseball.

For more information, contact CBIA's Phillip Montgomery (860.244.1982).