Fall protection most frequently cited category
On Sept. 16, OSHA announced the preliminary top 10 most frequently cited workplace safety violations for fiscal year 2014. Patrick Kapust, deputy director of OSHA's Directorate of Enforcement Programs, presented the top 10 before a crowd at the National Safety Council Congress & Expo in San Diego.
"We greatly appreciate our colleagues at OSHA sharing their most recent data at the nation's largest gathering of safety and health professionals," said National Safety Council President and CEO Deborah A.P. Hersman. "This data is a poignant reminder that there is still much room for improvement in making our workplaces safer, and that it is going to take all of us to make a difference."
The Top 10 for FY 2014 are:
- Fall Protection (1926.501): 6,143 violations
- Hazard Communication (1910.1200): 5,161
- Scaffolding (1926.451): 4,029
- Respiratory Protection (1910.134): 3,223
- Lockout/Tagout (1910.147): 2,704
- Powered Industrial Trucks (1910.178): 2,662
- Electrical--Wiring Methods (1910.305): 2,490
- Ladders (1926.1053): 2,448
- Machine Guarding (1910.212): 2,200
- Electrical--General Requirements (1910.303)--2,056