OSHA has issued safety tips retailers can follow to protect retail stockroom and loading dock workers from exposure to the coronavirus.
Safety measures OSHA recommends include:
- Stock displays—shelves, coolers, and freezers—during slow periods or shifts when stores are closed to minimize contact with the public
- Use barriers or markers to physically separate shelf stockers from customers if stocking when stores are open
- Maintain at least six feet between co-workers and customers, where possible
- Limit customer capacity in stores
- Coordinate with vendors and delivery companies to minimize the need for stockroom and loading dock worker contact with delivery drivers
- Allow workers to wear masks over their nose and mouth to prevent spread of the virus
- Encourage workers to report any safety and health concerns.
OSHA previously issued guidance for workers in the package delivery industry.
For more information, contact CBIA's Phillp Montgomery (860.244.1982).