Federal Tax Forms

Withholding allowances for federal income tax purposes are claimed on Form W-4, designated as the Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate.

This is filed by the employee with the employer during the initial hiring process. If no Form W-4 is filed, the employer must withhold tax as if the employee was single and had claimed no exemptions. The employee may change his or her withholding allowance at any time during employment.

Click here for a link to other federal tax forms and publications.

Connecticut Tax Forms

For purposes of state income tax purposes, employers are required to retain a Form CT-W4 in their files for each employee.

They must also file copies of Form CT-W4 with the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services for certain employees claiming exemption from the Connecticut withholding.

A copy of Form CT-W4 for all new hires should be sent to the state Department of Labor to assist in the enforcement of child support obligations.

Connecticut also has a range of business tax requirements.