The sooner new employees learn workplace rules and practices when starting a new job, the sooner they become productive workers.
Supervisors may wish to review the following topics with new workers:
- Introduction to co-workers.
- Company operations and activities.
- Building or plan layout, including employee parking areas and entrances, fire exits, bulletin boards, cafeteria/break areas, and rest rooms.
- Starting and quitting times, work schedule location, pay dates and procedures, overtime and other forms of compensation, break and meal periods.
- Policies on preventing and reporting accidents, and how to obtain emergency medical attention.
- Dress and attendance standards.
- Telephone use policies
- When and whom to contact in case of absence.
- Provide a written job description and a blank copy of performance evaluation review form.
- Performance standards.
- First work assignments.
- Training to do the job.
- Person to go to for help.
- Procedures for obtaining work supplies
- Other company policies and procedures.