Attendance limits will increase to 100 people for indoor events and 200 for outdoor events beginning Mar. 19.
The changes should be a boost to restaurants, catering halls, and similar businesses.
Gov. Ned Lamont announced the new limits Feb. 16, adding he also expects to soon increase attendance for sporting events and will consider a further easing of restrictions in the coming weeks.
Attendance limits are currently set at 25 people for indoor events and 100 for outdoors and cannot exceed 50% of rated capacity.
The Lamont administration had set fines of up to $10,000 for violations, which were levied against several establishments.
COVID-19 Cases Decline
Connecticut's COVID-19 positivity rate continues to fall, hospitalizations are decreasing, and more residents are vaccinated each day.
“You look at where our infection rates are, you look at hospitalizations, you look over the last week, over the last month, over the last three or four months, you see a trendline that gives you some confidence,” Lamont said.
But he said any increases in positivity or hospitalization rates could derail plans to ease attendance restriction.
"I know you want some guarantees [like] 'we can have a big wedding in July.' I can't give you any guarantees," he said. "But right now the trends are good."
Lamont said he announced the capacity increase now to give event planners advanced notice.
He said he's "cautiously optimistic" about a continued slow reopening.
"We're going to keep the masks on and hopefully warmer weather, the end of the flu season, and vaccinations are going to put us in a much better spot a month from now," he said.