CBIA Members Recognized for Environmental Achievements
Six members receive DEEP’s GreenCircle Award
The state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) has given 23 Connecticut businesses and individuals DEEP’s GreenCircle Awards for their efforts to protect the environment and natural resources. The six CBIA member companies below were among those honored:
- Bull Metal Products Inc. (Middletown): Reduced cardboard waste by 12% with an HSM Profi Pack Machine that reuses corrugated cardboard as packing material. In addition, the company now uses a Jenfab part washer that reduces water consumption by 9%.
- Chapman Manufacturing (Durham): Implemented a new recycling program, including the use of a machine oil separator to remove fine metal particles from used machine oils, which allows the oil to be reused on a daily basis.
- Horst Engineering (East Hartford): Invested in a solar PV electric power system four years ago that has generated a total of 176,264 kilowatt hours (kWh) of clean energy. Their 128 rooftop solar panels provided 46% of the power used by the company.
- NRG Energy Inc. (South Norwalk): Conducted educational programs, including the Environmental Student Detective Program in Norwalk, which teaches students to use environmental indicators to locate sources of contamination and broken sewage pipes. The students’ work has helped eliminate major sources of contamination into Norwalk Harbor and Long Island Sound.
- Philson, Inc. (Watertown): Holds annual employee river cleanup days and participates in CL&P’s Process Re-engineering for Innovation and Manufacturing Efficiency (PRIME) program, which uses lean principles to reduce solid and hazardous waste and increase energy efficiency.
- United Steel Inc. (East Hartford): Installed Sonical fuel treatment systems on two diesel-powered trucks that produced a 19% efficiency improvement in fuel usage during the test period.
Learn more about the companies’ accomplishments.
EXPLORE BY CATEGORY
Stay Connected with CBIA News Digests
The latest news and information delivered directly to your inbox.