Top 10 Scariest Employment Challenges of 2016
Same-sex marriage, accommodating a diverse workforce, paid sick leave, and workplace wearables are among the biggest challenges facing employers in 2016, says XpertHR’s annual report on the scariest employment issues.
Court cases, legislation, and regulatory actions have called into question the very nature of who is considered an employer and who is considered an employee as well as what rights and benefits employees should be entitled to.
“From providing paid sick leave to extending equal rights and benefits to same-sex partners, employers must comply with new obligations,” says Beth Zoller, legal editor, XpertHR.
“An employer who is not prepared can face increased costs, including civil fines and fees, as well as criminal penalties, administrative complaints, potential litigation and harm to its business reputation.”
XpertHR’s top 10 scariest challenges employers will face in 2016 are:
- Same-sex marriage
- Expanding protections for LGBT individuals
- Reasonable accommodations for an increasingly diverse workplace
- Paid sick leave
- National Labor Relations Board pursuit of workplace policies
- Workplace wearables
- Redefining and expanding who is entitled to overtime and raising the minimum wage
- Providing independent contractors with increased workplace rights
- Revising the Joint Employer Standard and expanding the pool of employers
- Telecommuting and flexible work arrangements
“To best protect themselves and avoid expensive lawsuits, employers should review and revise their workplace policies and practices and make sure that they are legally compliant,” says Zoller.
EXPLORE BY CATEGORY
Stay Connected with CBIA News Digests
The latest news and information delivered directly to your inbox.